Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday - Make Your Own Frappuccino


This past week I clicked a link I saw on another blog that I read. They posted Works for Me Wednesday and I thought it was such a great idea. So starting today I thought that I would also take part. If you have some free time check out the link. There are tons of participants and LOTS of great tips and tricks!

So my first WFMW tip is saving that coffee money while still getting to enjoy the icy goodness.

All of you that know me know that my weakness for some time has been Frappuccinos at Starbucks. I love them and yes they are an expensive habit. Each of my luscious Grande Caramel Frappuccino Lights cost me $4.24 a pop. OUCH! A while back my mom mentioned to me in passing that she now makes her own. After a hair appointment I went back to her house and she made one for us. Man it was good! Now I'm not saying it's just as good as Starbucks, but knowing that you aren't out that much money with each drink it is most definitely a very close second. I can count on one hand the times I have indulged in an actual Starbucks Frappuccino since my mom shared this recipe with me. So in sharing this with you I hope that if you are a fellow frappaholic that this can save you some bucks.

This isn't a very specific recipe and you will find as you make it that you tweak some of the ingredients to make it better suit your tastes, but here it is...

In a blender add the following ingredients...
1 cup milk - I use nonfat
1 1/2 heaping spoonfuls (just your normal everyday spoon) of instant coffee - I use decaf Folgers
1 single serving packet of Splenda
Nescafé Ice Java iced coffee syrup - I squeeze the bottle for a count of about 5 seconds
(The steps this far will make a mocha frapp. I like caramel so I bought Smuckers Caramel topping squeeze bottle and I add a squeeze of that as well to make a caramel mocha frap.)

Blend all ingredients together.

Then I use my 1 cup measuring cup and fill it with ice cubes from the ice maker and blend them with the mixture. I will add about 1/2 to 3/4 of another measuring cup full to get to the thickness that I prefer. Just add ice bit by bit to find out how to get to the consistency that you like.

Once well blended pour into a large cup (or two smaller cups if you are feeling generous). You can top with whipped cream (light if you like the little splurge without as many calories) and drizzle with chocolate syrup or caramel or both if you are feeling especially frisky.

I know this is not a very exact recipe, but like I said there's a little tweaking to make it exactly right to you. But once you find the right amounts for your tastes it will be quick and easy to throw one of these together and enjoy your icy yummy drink for just a fraction of what it costs to run to Starbucks and you won't have to dread unloading and reloading kids in the car if you aren't lucky enough to be located near a drive-thru Starbucks. It definitely Works For Me!

~*~*~*~*~*~
If you enjoy reading...
Subscribe to Gohn Crazy
~*~*~*~*~*~

6 comments:

Linda (RibbonRockStar) said...

Thanks for sharing!

Linda

Kathleen Marie said...

I am a tea drinker but my kids love Frappuccino's as do many of my friends. I will definitely pass this on.

Thanks!

Sherri@NoiseOverload said...

My husband will be delighted to get this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Elle said...

Completely providential to have found your first WFMW tip because I have not only been craving a Frapp but wondering if a homemade recipe existed. Thanks so much!

Sarah said...

You saved my life. Just kidding! But I love Frapps but am on a very tight budget that does not include $4 drinks. SO, I am going to make this tonight!!

Toni said...

I will definitely use this one! Thanks for sharing!